Thursday, November 4, 2010

There a HUGE difference between thinking he's cute and being OBSESSED!

People can never seem to comprehend that, can they? You simply state to his sister, when she asks you, that you "guess he's cute" since you like "tall red-heads... and glasses", and, suddenly, you here from his girlfriend that the whole family thinks you're obsessed!
I mean, HELLO?! Am I missing something?

About 2 months ago, my mom's friend invited us over for dinner, with the three of us, her daughter, and her son. I bailed, because I had a rehearsal for the dinner theatre company I work for. So, my mom says, "He asked me, "Is Kate coming?" And he seemed really disappointed that you weren't."
So, like any girl, I was a little excited. Then, when his family came for dinner, he bailed. I took that as enough of a clue. Then, my mother says that, when she had to take him home from work, they talked about me. So, little bit of excitement again. Then, around comes school, and I feel invisible. No breed of social interaction, just a whole "forgetting about the cute girl whose mother I talked with about" thing. I'm still friendly, obviously, and knowing that nothing will ever happen, and moving on in my life, not giving a shit! My mom told me his exact future plans too, and they were, and I quote, to "get a descent job, to live a comfortable life". ...Ambitionless slacker, was the conclusion I came to. Plus, I knew enough trouble stuff about him to not want to go out with him anyways.
So, I share my anthropology with his new girlfriend. Nice girl, kind of cute, just moved here this year, and slowly becoming my sort of friend. Today, when the two of us and a mutual friend are talking she says, "His whole family thinks you have a creepy crush on him."
I laughed and said, "Oh my god, no!" But I could feel my ears turning red as I bit back the comment, "YOUR BOYFRIEND'S A FUCKING LOSER!"
Fun, right?

So, here's my advice for similar situations:
A) Don't talk to a guys sister/mother/relative about him; everything you say can and will be reported back to him.
B) Make sure it's very clear that you don't like him, even if he is reportedly "your type". Just makes for awkwardness later.
C) If you're friends with his girlfriend, never, NEVER talk about him or bring him up. If she brings him up, skillfully change the subject. It will save you from the most awkward of situations.
D)If it's in your capabilities, remember to be one step ahead of the game. Try to figure out what they'll pull before it happens. My smoothest moments in life occur whe I do this.
E) Be yourself. As much as I may sound like your mom, trust me, things will turn out better. As the awkwardness of her previous conceptions of me pass, this girl and I are finding a lot of things in common, an are starting to be friends.

Tomorrow, I'm going to submerse myself in my school work, find my Youth Group bible, and make some boiled raisin cookies. I'll tell you guys what those are some other time.

Until next time,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment